Our Italy Food Tour includes town and country:
PARMA – Staying in a fashionable boutique hotel in the heart of this historic and royal town for 3 nights – ideal for culture, history, food, wine, theatre, shopping.
COUNTRYSIDE – Experience a luxurious ‘agriturismo’ bed & breakfast for 3 nights – nearby we will enjoy truffle hunting, balsamic vinegar tasting and a vineyard visit. Flavours, fun & discovery!
The Ultimate Food Tour of Italy – New for October 2020
Janet Simmonds of Grand Tourist has teamed up with the dynamic Doni Belau, founder of Girl’s Guide to Paris to bring you some new and amazing Italian Journeys for 2020. First up is an exceptional ‘Ultimate Food Tour’ to Italy’s foodie heartland, the region of Emilia Romagna. This is the area that produces world-class hams, cheeses, balsamic vinegar and flavoursome truffles.
Why not join us for this indulgent and delicious treat in October, 2020.
Here are just some of our food tour highlights
- Parma – Stay for 3 nights in Parma, this is Italy’s City of Culture, 2020.
- Be an early adopter and discover Parma before everyone else.
- Viano – Stay 3 nights in truffle country, just south-west of Bologna in a very secluded location. Here you’ll go out truffle hunting with the local truffle hunters and their dogs. This is a really unique experience. But be very quiet don’t tell anyone, we don’t want everyone here!
- Enjoy a walking tour of Parma – such a sophisticated small city, including the Royal Palace, where the Dukes of Parma lived for over 300 years. Visit the Teatro Regio, Royal Theatre where Giuseppe Verdi’s operas are still performed. Visit a fabulous and stylish osteria (small restaurant) for a tasting of Parma’s finest products.
- Bicycle tour of Parma to discover the piazzas and medieval streets.
- Be part of an exclusive visit to the Castle of Rivalta, located on a rocky hillside, explore the ancient tower of the castle and enjoy a tour of the main rooms, including Princess Margaret’s guest room (she was a regular visitor). Climb the spiral staircase to Rapunzel’s Tower. It’s a fairytale.
- Visit a family-run prosciutto farm, where hams are prepared and cured to produce the finest ‘Prosciutto di Parma’.
- Early morning visit to a Parmesan cheese-maker to see the milk arriving and the cheese being made. This is the real Parmigiano Reggiano.
Truffle Hunting Experience in Emilia-Romagna, Italy
Next we head into the rolling hills just south-west of Bologna for an exceptional truffle hunting experience:
In this delightful area of gentle hills and mixed woodland, nature has provided the perfect conditions for truffles to grow. Farmers and local people often rear dogs from birth as truffle hunters. This charming litter of Lagotto Romagnolo Hunting Dogs are introduced to the distinctive smell of the truffles at birth. They can smell them even if they are several feet beneath the surface. They work so well with their owners to find the truffles.
- Here in the countryside we’ll head into the woodlands with our local guide and his hunting dogs. Let’s hope we find some truffles.
- Later in the day there’s a special visit to a Balsamic Vinegar producer. This is a family farm, fourth generation, our host is a dynamic and charming woman. The Balsamic they produce is just incredible.
- Our host trained as an engineer before joining the family business!
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN OUR ITALY FOOD TOUR?
- A 6-night trip to Italy’s Gastronomic Heart, Emilia Romagna
- 3 nights in Parma in a centrally located boutique hotel
- 3 nights in the countryside south-west of Bologna
- All rooms are very comfortable, hotels are four-star quality
- Rooms are all double for single occupancy
- There is no single room supplement
- Two meals are included daily, breakfast and either lunch or dinner.
- A walking tour of Parma is included.
- A behind the scenes trip to Regio Teatro, Parma – the Royal Theatre is included. Nearer the time we’ll give you the opportunity to attend an opera at the theatre (once the schedule is finalised).
- Bike Tour of Parma to help you to understand the layout of the city.
- Visit to Prosciutto Ham maker just outside Parma.
- Rivalta Castle Visit with private guided tour and Tasting event.
- Participate in a pasta-making class with a professional, pasta making lady.
- Try your hand at pasta-making before enjoying the fruits of your labours!
- Parmigiano Cheese making demonstration and visit.
- Visit a family who make the finest Balsamic Vinegar, for a special visit, demonstration and tasting. The lady is a very big character!
- A very special Truffle hunting experience going out with local people and seeing them working with their dogs. This is not a ‘tourist event’ this is a real-life truffle hunting event.
WHAT’S THE COST OF A LUXURY FOOD TOUR IN ITALY?
The cost of this trip is:
- Euros € 4000– per person
- GBP £ 3400– per person
- US $ 4500– per person
- These prices are per person in a double room – there is no single supplement.
- Based on a minimum group size of 8 guests.
Contact Grand Tourist for more details and to plan your tailor made trip.
ASK FOR MORE INFO
What our clients have said…
“We can’t thank you enough. A perfect blend of culture and leisure time. The food and guided tours were brilliant and we even had a gondola ride. The hotel was lovely and they upgraded us to a suite. What a fabulous holiday.”
CT & friends (Banbury)
The quality of service provided by Grand Tourist is second to none!
DFR & LMK (Stockholm and London) – May 2016
‘I’m at a loss for words – the knowledge and expertise that you have helped me enormously on my recent driving trip through Italy’