Discover the region south of Naples. The volcano of Vesuvius, Roman towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum. The Greek temples of Paestum and the Amalfi Coast.
Travel with Grand Tourist to Southern Italy from 16-22 April, 2018. There will be 6-8 people. Janet Simmonds will be your friendly and highly informative tour guide. Explore a land of natural beauty, warm hospitality,fabulous food and wine. Discover the Italian region of Campania, with its exceptional scenery, amazing archaeological ruins and the might of Vesuvius dominating the Bay of Naples.
Visit the chaotic streets of Naples, sample genuine Neapolitan pizza. Stroll the streets of Pompeii and Herculaneum, buried by the massive volcanic eruption of Vesuvius in AD 79. Explore the vast Greek temples of Paestum (a UNESCO world heritage site) where three spectacular Greek temples have stood since around 450 BC.
There is no better way to experience Southern Italy – with thousands of years of history and a remote and rugged past. This is where government dissidents were sent in the 1920s and 30s. We’ll hear about the writer Carlo Levi exiled to Basilicata in the 1930s and his experiences which resulted in his famous book ‘Christ Stopped at Eboli’.
There will be a visit to Salerno with its historic town centre and fascinating botanical gardens, one of Europe’s oldest. Did you know that in the 12th century the Medical School in Salerno was one of the finest in the Mediterranean. Kings and princes travelled from afar to receive medical attention from Salerno’s doctors. For fresh air enthusiasts enjoy a hike on the Amalfi coastal path. To top it all off, enjoy some mozzarella and wine tasting at local family farms and vineyards. You’ve got to try at least one ice cream made with buffalo milk. All this makes Campania a very special and unique part of Italy.
SUMMARY OF TRIP
TOUR DATES: 16-22 April, 2018
- 7 days (6 nts) in clean and comfortable family-run hotels and guest houses
- Double room with private shower/wc
- Naples – 2 night
- Paestum – 2 nights
- Amalfi Coast – 2 nights
- Tour of ‘Old Naples’ including pizza supper
- Tour of Salerno, including one of Europe’s oldest medicinal, botanical gardens
- Visit the spectacular Greek temples at Paestum.
- Tour Pompeii and Herculaneum
- Ascend Vesuvius and walk up to the crater
- Visit a mozzarella cheese farm, meet the water buffalo and sample the cheese.
- Visit a vineyard and enjoy a wine tasting.
- Explore the Amalfi Coast – including walk/hike
- Transportation throughout in mini-coach with air-conditioning
- Breakfast included daily (6 breakfasts)
- Dinner included on four evenings (4 dinners) with local dishes – at traditional Italian ‘ristorante’
- Janet Simmonds – Tour guide to accompany group & assist with all logistics
Prices are per person – there is no single room supplement:
- GBP £ 1975–
- US$ $ 2700–
- Euros € 2300–
- Please note – Flights are not included.
- All breakfasts and 4 x dinners included.
TESTIMONIALS – previous travellers have said…
- ‘I participated in this tour in 2014 and loved every minute, we met so many Italian people and experienced an amazing and welcoming region of Italy. My favourite was Matera.’ DFD (Guildford,UK)
- “The quality of the services that you offer, the personal attention to small details and the friendliness of your staff has made our trip really perfect…” CRN & RLN (Boston, Mass)
- ‘amazing attention to detail…..”
- ‘Now that I’ve travelled with Janet (several times) I can never go back to other tour companies, her attention to detail is exceptional. Everything is carefully planned and yet it is relaxed. If we meet someone particularly interesting there is always time to stay and chat’ MLP (Mackinaw City, MI) – October, 2016
- Would you like to know more or to book your place?
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call 07590 990 160 (during UK office hours)
- Check out our blog ‘Educated Traveller’ for numerous articles about Southern Italy. My favourite is the story about the eruption of Vesuvius and the burial of Herculaneum and its discovery hundreds of years later – here’s the link. Vesuvius and Herculaneum
Happy Travels in 2018!