Discover the regions south of Naples. Campania, Basilicata & Puglia. The magical cave houses of Matera. The trulli of Alberobello and the magnificence of the Amalfi Coast, Ischia and Capri.
Travel with Grand Tourist to Southern Italy in October 2017. There will be 6-8 people. Janet Simmonds will be your friendly and highly informative tour guide. Explore a land of natural beauty, warm hospitality,fabulous food and wine. Discover the regions of Campania, Basilicata and Puglia.
Visit the vast Greek temples of Paestum and explore the ancient cave-city of Matera (a UNESCO world heritage site).There is no better way to experience Southern Italy – with thousands of years of history and a remote and rugged past. This is where government dissidents were sent in the 1920s and 30s. We’ll hear about the writer Carlo Levi exiled to Basilicata in the 1930s and his experiences which resulted in his famous book ‘Christ Stopped at Eboli’.
There will be a visit to Salerno with its historic town centre and fascinating botanical gardens, one of Europe’s oldest. Did you know that in the 12th century the Medical School in Salerno was one of the finest in the Mediterranean. Kings and princes travelled from afar to receive medical attention from Salerno’s doctors. For fresh air enthusiasts enjoy a hike on the Amalfi coastal path. To top it all off, enjoy some wine and olive oil tasting in the fairy-tale town of Alberobello, whilst marvelling at the unique trulli houses that make this part of Italy so famous.
SUMMARY OF TRIP
Grand Tourist is offering a unique journey of discovery in Southern Italy (a small group departure – 8 persons maximum).
TOUR DATES: 15-25 October, 2017
- 11 days (10 nts) in clean and comfortable family-run hotels
- Double rooms with private shower/wc
- Naples – 1 night
- Matera, Basilicata – 4 nights
- Paestum – 2 nights
- Amalfi Coast – 3 nights
- Tour of Salerno, including one of Europe’s oldest botanical gardens
- Visit the spectacular Greek temples at Paestum.
- Stay in the Sassi (caves) of Matera (UNESCO world heritage site)
- Day trip to Alberobello, famous for its unique trulli architecture
- Explore Amalfi Coast – including walk/hike
- Boat trip along the Campania coast
- Transportation throughout in mini-coach with air-conditioning
- Breakfast included daily (10 breakfasts)
- Dinner included on four evenings (4 dinners) with local dishes.
- Wine and olive oil tasting in Alberobello
- Janet Simmonds – Tour guide to accompany group & assist with all logistics
- Prices are per person – there is no single room supplement:
- GBP £ 2750–
- US $ 3995 —
- Euros € 3500–
- Please note – Flights are not included.
- All breakfasts and 4 x dinners included.
TESTIMONIALS – previous travellers have said…
- ‘I participated in this tour in 2014 and loved every minute, we met so many Italian people and experienced an amazing and welcoming region of Italy. My favourite was Matera.’ DFD (Guildford,UK)
- “The quality of the services that you offer, the personal attention to small details and the friendliness of your staff has made our trip really perfect…” CRN & RLN (Boston, Mass)
- ‘amazing attention to detail…..”
- ‘Now that I’ve travelled with Janet (several times) I can never go back to other tour companies, her attention to detail is exceptional. Everything is carefully planned and yet it is relaxed. If we meet someone particularly interesting there is always time to stay and chat’ MLP (Mackinaw City, MI) – October, 2016
- Would you like to know more or to book your place?
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or call 07590 990 160 (during UK office hours)
- Check out our blog ‘Educated Traveller’ for numerous articles about Southern Italy. My favourite is a story about a painting I bought in Matera – here’s the link. Matera, Basilicata – The Purchase of a Small Painting
- Happy Travelling!