Southern Italy - Campania, Basilicata & Puglia
Travel with a small group to Southern Italy in October 2017. Maximum group size 8 people. Expert tour guide. Discover a land of natural beauty, warm hospitality and fabulous food and wine. Discover the regions of Campania, Basilicata and Puglia.
Visit the vast Greek temples of Paestum and explore the ancient cave-city of Matera (a UNESCO world heritage site).There is no better way to experience Southern Italy - with thousands of years of history and a remote and rugged past. Discover Eboli where the writer Carlo Levi was exiled in the 1930s and wrote the famous book 'Christ Stopped at Eboli'.
There will be a visit to Salerno with its historic town centre and fascinating botanical gardens, one of Europe's oldest. Did you know that in the 12th century the Medical Scool in Salerno was one of the finest in the Mediterranean. For fresh air enthusiasts enjoy a hike through Cilento National Park. The variety of wild-life and wilderness is truly impressive. To top it all off, enjoy some wine and olive oil tasting in the fairy-tale town of Alberobello, whilst marvelling at the unique trulli houses that make this part of Italy so famous.
Summary of trip
Grand Tourist would like to propose a unique journey of discovery in Southern Italy (this is a small group departure - 8 persons maximum).
TOUR DATES: 15-25 October, 2017
11 days (10 nts) in clean and comfortable family-run hotels:
- Salerno - 2 nights
- Matera, Basilicata - 4 nights
- Palinuro - 4 nights (Cilento area)
- Tour of Salerno, including one of Europe's oldest botanical gardens
- Visit the spectacular Greek temples at Paestum.
- See the Sassi di Matera (UNESCO world heritage site)
- Day trip to Alberobello, famous for its unique trulli architecture
- Explore Cilento National Park - including hike
- Boat trip along the coast of the Cilento
- Transportation throughout in mini-coach with air-conditioning
- Breakfast is included daily
- Dinner included on four evenings with dishes from Southern Italy
- Wine and olive oil tasting in Alberobello
Tour guide to accompany the group & assist with all logistics
- GBP £ 2750 pp
- US $ 3995 pp
- Euros € 3500 pp
There is no single supplement. Prices are per person.
- Please note - Flights are not included.
- All breakfasts and 4 x dinners included.
For more background on Southern Italy - check out the following articles that have appeared on our blog:
All articles written by Janet Simmonds, our company director and expert tour guide.
Contact Janet for more details.
'I participated in this tour in 2014 and loved every minute, we met so many Italian people and experienced an amazing and welcoming region of Italy. My favourite was Matera.' DFD (Guildford, Surrey)
"The quality of the services that you offer, the personal attention to small details and the friendliness of your staff has made our trip really perfect..." CRN & RLN (Boston, Mass)
"We've enjoyed every minute of our trip to Le Marche - honestly it has been great!" SM & RM (Adelaide)
'amazing attention to detail.....''
'Now that I've travelled with Janet (several times) I can never go back to other tour companies, her attention to detail is exceptional. Everything is carefully planned and yet it is relaxed. If we meet someone particularly interesting there is always time to stay and chat'.
MLP (Mackinaw City, MI) - October, 2016