About Janet Simmonds
Posts by Janet Simmonds:
- Baroque Architecture
- Discover Italy
- Drive a Ferrari in Italy
- Ferrari Driving in Italy
- Fun weekend away
- Palladian Villas
- Super car weekend in Maranello
- tailor-made Italy
- Truffle Hunting
- Veneto Countryside
- Veneto Region, Italy
- Venice & Veneto
- weekend break
- Writers Retreat
Janet Simmonds Amalfi, Discover Italy, Herculaneum, Italy, Naples, Vesuvius A week of indulgence, Amalfi, Amalfi Coast, archaeology, capri, Herculaneum, history, Italian romance, italy, Italy luxury, Naples, napoli, pompeii, ravello, sunshine, tailor-made, travel, vesuvius
NAPLES – VESUVIUS – AMALFI – CAPRI
ROMANCE, HISTORY, SUNSHINE, SEA
A week in the Italian sunshine, visiting Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast and the magical island of Capri
NAPLES, VESUVIUS, AMALFI, CAPRI
Treat yourself to ten days of Italian sunshine, food and wine. Wonderful history and culture. Incredible scenery. Flying into Naples you’ll see Vesuvius, the volcano, a brooding mountain dominating the Bay of Naples. Head south to Sorrento or Amalfi for 4 nights on the coast. A private car and driver will transport you to your hotel on arrival.
After a couple of days of rest and relaxation, your driver will take you to Vesuvius, where you can walk up to the crater for spectacular views. Then to descend and visit Pompeii and Herculaneum, the towns buried with debris when Vesuvius erupted in AD 79, is a memorable experience.
Back on the coast it’s a short ferry crossing over to the island of Capri. This is the stylish and picture-perfect island that the film stars of Hollywood flocked to in the 1960s. Stay in a delightful luxury, boutique hotel and lap up the luxury. How is it possible for the sea to be so blue? After Capri there’s a night or two in Naples to finish off your stay. Naples is amazing, it’s crazy, vibrant, full of fun and you’ll be enthralled! Stay in a luxury hotel overlooking the bay. The roof terrace has stunning views of Vesuvius.
We’d like to suggest a week of romance and relaxation:
- 4 nights Amalfi Coast – Hotel Rufolo, Ravello
- 3 nights Capri – Hotel Scalinetta
- 2 night Naples – Grand Hotel Parker’s
- Excellent quality hotels
- Spacious and comfortable double room
- Generous Buffet Breakfast daily
- Arrival transfer Naples to Amalfi
- Ascent of Mount Vesuvius for exceptional views
- Full day excursion to Herculaneum & Pompeii
- Private car and driver service for the day
- Expert local guide at Pompeii & Herculaneum
- Car transfer from Amalfi to Sorrento for ferry to Capri
- Transport from Capri port to hotel
- Beautiful room with sea view
- Maps, guide books and local information provided.
- Departure transfer by ferry from Capri to Naples
- Car transfer from Naples waterfront to prestigious historic hotel. Short city tour en route.
- Departure transfer from Naples hotel to airport
The programme cost is from:
- STANDARD – GBP £ 1995—pp / 2 guests in double.
- Classic double room in each property.
- SUPERIOR – GBP £ 2595—pp / 2 guests in double.
- Double room with sea view at all properties
- DELUXE – GBP £ 2995—pp / 2 guests in Junior Suite or Deluxe Double. All with sea view.
Travel on a date to suit you. Best value can be found in April, May and October.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details and to chat through your exact requirements. Grand Tourist offers truly tailor-made travel – don’t hesitate to contact us to discuss your exact requirements.
- Please visit our blog – The Educated Traveller for numerous articles on Italy.
- To read more about Vesuvius and volcanic activity in the Bay of Naples read our recent article: Vesuvius and Herculaneum
- To learn more about travel in Italy over the years – read our blog article – The Grand Tour in Italy
- To book contact: email@example.com
A LAST WORD OR TWO…
“Southern Italy is enchanting, from the splendid mountain slopes of Vesuvius to the spectacular archaeological ruins at Pompeii and Herculaneum, there is so much to discover and appreciate here. To combine this history and culture of Naples with rest and relaxation by the sea, makes for a perfect holiday destination”
Janet Simmonds Ferrari Driving in Italy, Fun weekend away, Italy, tailor-made Italy, Truffle Hunting, weekend break Appenino Foods, Bologna, emilia romagna, italy, savigno, Slow Food, Tartufi, tartufo, truffle, truffle hunting, Truffle hunting season, truffles
TRUFFLE HUNTING IN ITALY
Truffle Hunting in Emilia Romagna, Italy
In the rolling hills of Emilia Romagna just south of Bologna, there is an impossibly beautiful landscape of rolling hills, woodlands and green pastures. In recent years truffle hunting has become the dominant activity here. Demand for the ‘diamond of the kitchen’ as the white truffle is sometimes known is growing exponentially. Restaurants in New York, Moscow, Shanghai and Sydney compete to acquire the finest truffles for use in a huge array of recipes. In late 2016 the price for a kilo (about 2lbs) of white truffle exceeded Euros € 2000–. The hills of Emilia Romagna are a gold mine…
The amazing and delightful thing about truffles is that they grow naturally in woodland areas. Truffles tend to develop close to tree roots, especially the roots of oak trees. In the old days local people used pigs to discover the truffles using their keen sense of smell. Rather unfortunately the pigs developed a taste for the aromatic and pungent truffles and it became difficult for the hunters to snatch these precious culinary jewels from the jaws of the porcine forager. Prudently, hunters switched to dogs to find the truffles, still with a finely tuned sense of smell and a much more consistent ability to follow instructions.
Highlights of our unique truffle hunting adventure:
- Experience Truffle Hunting
- Meet the truffle hunters and their dogs
- Tour a truffle processing company, where truffles are collected, sorted, prepared, cleaned and packaged for export all over the world.
- Experience a Parmesan Cheese Maker’s studio
- Castle visit and ancient wine cellar tour
- Fine red wine tasting
The truffle hunting experience includes:
- 3 nights in a very comfortable country house hotel.
- Spacious double or twin rooms, some suites available.
- Buffet style breakfast each morning
- A Half day truffle hunting excursion with a local truffle hunter and his dogs. This will be a walk and scramble through woods and fields. Walking boots, anoraks, hats, required.
- Lunch at a typical local trattoria (informal restaurant) with local dishes, truffles and freshly made pasta.
- Visit to a Parmesan Cheese Maker to see the world famous ‘parmigiano’ cheese being made ‘by hand’. See the fabrication process and visit the warehouse where the cheeses are aged, for 3-5-7 years before being sold all over the world.
- Dinner at the hotel including truffle dishes and truffle-flavoured sauces.
- A trip to an ancient castle to visit the wine cellars and to sample the fine wines of Emilia Romagna.
- This region is also famous for Balsamic Vinegar. The Balsamic is stored and aged in oak barrels, just like fine wine. We can also visit a Balsamic Vinegar maker and see the spectacular oak barrels.
- Time to relax and enjoy cocktails, spa treatments and delicious food at the hotel.
- We are very close to the Ferrari Museum and Factory in Maranello, so a couple of hours driving a Ferrari (road or circuit) is possible (at an additional cost)
- Comfortable Vehicles will pick you up from Bologna Airport and drive you into the countryside.
- All trips and visits will include Mercedes Viano people carriers and Mercedes Saloon Cars.
- An English and Italian speaking guide / co-ordinator will assist and organise all activities.
The cost of this trip:
- GBP £ 1200 pp / based on 2 sharing a double room
- GBP £ 1800 pp / based on Junior suite
- These prices are based on 4 persons travelling.
- Larger groups can easily be accommodated.
- The white truffle ‘tartufo bianco’ and the ‘tartufo bianchetto’ are tubers, related to funghi, they grow symbiotically close to the roots of oak, hazel and beech trees. In fact any mixed woodland in Northern Italy, with well-drained soil that is alkaline, is likely to produce some truffles.
- The tubers develop and grow during the summer months. By late September or early October local truffle hunters come into the woods, usually at daybreak, when the air is still and calm. This is the time when the dogs are most likely to pick up the distinctive smell of the truffles. The truffle hunting season continues until the end of November.
- ‘I must tell you how impressed I was with every step of the planning process. All of our arrangements were clear, the hotels were all perfect.’ Jim Link, Atlanta, GA – June 2016
- ‘Incredible attention to detail, what a wonderful experience, the perfect blend of learning, eating and enjoying Italy.’ Debbie Davies (Southport)